Wednesday, July 4, 2007

tidbits gleaned from cyberland

A nice word of the day today from Dictionary.com: "phantasmagoria: a shifting series or succession of things seen or imagined." Also, yesterday's WOTD leads me to a nice quote: "The anger caroms around in our psyches like jagged stones. -- Randall Robinson, Defending the Spirit"

and, when I'm in Pittsburgh/Oakland, I'd like to visit this hookah bar - the Sphinx Cafe. I was turned on to hookahs in Paris when the roommate of my friend, who I was staying with, was dating someone from Egypt and regularly filling the flat with sweet-smelling fruit/tobacco smoke.

Too bad the Sphinx doesn't have any food (although they do have beverages); what seems to be their sister restaurant looks a bit far from campus: in the Penn Hills neighborhood: "King Tuts Restaurant, 200 Rodi Road, Penn Hills Shopping Center, Pittsburgh." Still, I probably would go to some length to get middle eastern food.

My favorite middle eastern hookah/food purveyor in Phil'a is Fez (Morrocan). [Wow, they have a really corny website! (never visited it before now)]

I like this blog called "the Holomorphism Exchange". I found it a little while ago, resultant from some search or other, and now I can't for the life of me remember how I found it...

2 comments:

Erika said...

Well now that we have been deemed super cool by the NYT we are going to fit right in at a hookah bar. I cant tell if we are going to have a lot of free time or not. That thing about group projects makes me nervous.

Libography said...

Yah, I know, it doesn't look like we'll have a whole lot of free time -- but if I only do one thing, I MUST see the Chihulys at the Phipps... and I really want to go rock climbing somewhere, anywhere, too (even if it's just at the Pitt gym, which I understand has a tiny little indoor wall). :(